Following their very successful line of turbos for the Mini Cooper S, Frankenturbo has designed a new hybrid turbo for the Peugeot/Citroen THP (Prince) Engines.
It is called Frankenturbo F21P and it shares the same core as the F21M from the Mini world. Combined with a newly designed compressor housing, it is a bolt-on replacement for the THP150 and THP175 stock turbo.
[singlepic id=398 w= h= float=none]
Our test platform was a Peugeot 207 GT 1.6T (THP150). Testing was done using both 95RON and 98RON fuel by BP.
[singlepic id=397 w= h= float=none]
Importance of testing on a healthy engine
We cannot stress enough the importance of keeping your engine in good health, in order for it to make power safely. These are our very important health check prerequisites that need to be done before any upgrade on THP/Prince engines:
- New sparkplugs (replaced every 15.000km-20.000km max)
- Engine timing checked and in place. If the timing chain is loose or any timing part is malfunctioning, it needs to be fixed/replaced before putting strain on the engine. Otherwise there will be major problems long before it makes any power
- Intake valves cleaned from carbon residues. This ensures proper power generation without knocking or erratic behaviour
- Boost control valve new or in good shape. Because when the boost control valve goes, all sorts of problems with boost appear
- Correct engine oil and new oil filter. All of the above systems rely on engine oil to work properly
This list of checkups was followed to the letter before the turbo was installed on the car, specially because the engine was completely stock and already had 147.000km.
[singlepic id=389 w= h= float=none]
Testing steps while the turbo was in our hands
- Completely stock engine, THP150 or THP175
- Frankenturbo F21P turbocharger
- 95RON or 98RON, depending on what is available or what the owner wants to use for daily driving.
- Upgraded intercooler. Do not even bother with the stock unit unless you want to run it with the stock remap.
- Upgraded exhaust with a sports cat. Keeping things silent, environmentally friendly and street-legal.
- Stock boost pipes
- Stock ECU map: 153PS
- Stage 4 ECU remap for 95RON: 260 PS (available via FlasherTHP)
- Stage 4 ECU remap for 98RON: 280 PS (available via FlasherTHP)
[singlepic id=395 w= h= float=none]
Although when we first heard about it we thought it would be another bitchy/twisted little hybrid like most, it proved us wrong. The Frankenturbo F21P is a very well behaved turbo that can be used in two different ways:
- Replace the stock turbo as a direct bolt-on replacement. For those who need a new turbo without interest in performance.
- Replace the stock turbo for more power. For those who want to increase the power level of their engine.
In the upcoming tests we will be pushing the performance limits from this turbo on the stock engine. To do so we will utilize a cold air intake system, upgraded boost pipes and a water/methanol injection system.